Trailflow Cutting New Trail

Looks like another new bit has opened up, hey @Pepperjester where about is this piece to be found?

That is just a very short little segment that will by pass the narrow gypsum ridge segment offering an easier and more cycling optimized option. About 100M.

We’ve got two more new sections coming in soon near the start of the gravel trail (by upper soccer field). One that will be an extension to the gravel trail and a second short segment that will add in a nice smooth bit of single track off of the first single tack on your left off of the existing gravel trail. These are both fairly short segments so should both be open in about a week.

After that we get into some longer loops. :slight_smile:
Check back soon!

6 Likes

New Gravel interpretive trail showcasing the gypsum craziness now open!

Next bit of single track should be just a few days away too!

1 Like

Had a chance to try the newest stuff on the weekend. It’s coming along nicely and great to see so many people heading there to ride!

A couple of bits of constructive criticism, the last left hand turn around the little 6" diameter stump on the gypsum ridge bypass trail is a flow killer. Maybe that’s deliberate as it is right before the intersection?

The new singletrack that will come off the gravel trail with the karst viewing area doesn’t carve on the mounds to the sides like it did when it was a secret trail. No one will miss that but me I suppose but it was really fun, now it’s just kinda straight line. Anyway keep up the good work, can’t wait t see what you do with the big sections to come.

looking forward to seeing the parking lot expanded so we are not stacked up out at the road at the first gate. there was a fair amount of trail users there sunday and there was simply not enough room for all the cars. I also noted that the new piece that was made to by pass the gypsum sink hole has a corner that robs you of all your speed and flow. was left wishing i could have carried that momentum down the trail. but hey still leaves you with 99.9 % true blissful trail and I am very excited about what is to come excellent work trailflow. so is there a tentative time line for the new singletrack ? could we possibly see anything opened up this year?

1 Like

Glad your liking the new pieces. Yes there will be more to come this fall. We will be putting in a long beginner bench cut section and some rustic intermediate trails. Not sure if we will be able to complete everything before the winter but we will see. Were also going to be doing a few upgrades along the Glooscap Heritage Loop to improve drainage and sustainability.

2 Likes

After reading the recent comments I had to go back and re ride that section. Too be dead honest I’m at a loss, I find it rides smooth and clean both directions, maybe I’m not going fast enough to notice. There was one stump around a turn mid trail that did push you a tad to the out side if one was trying to go fast it might be an issue, so I’ve cut it down allowing riders to cut that turn a bit more on the inside.

As for the other new section that was closed and is no yet open. Yes, it is straighter then the terrain could have allowed but this section is going to be aimed at beginners and had to be made more mellow on the main lines as a result, other wise the client was going to skip it not have it opened and no one would have got to enjoy it. We have added in an optional log ride and a mini rock drop as side line for those looking for a bit more thou. This segment should be open for use next week sometime, we just have a bit of finish work to do and then need to have it inspected for opening.

Next up will be longer beginner trail that will be a little over half a km, after that I expect we’ll move on to some more intermediate trails.

3 Likes

Sounds like you got the suspect stump/corner, thanks for taking another look. In a location that has such little sustained elevation to play with carrying speed sure does add to the fun. I can’t speak for everyone but I’m sure lots of people are really into what you’re creating. The new trails are a million times what they would have been with other builders.

Sometimes I find the corners a bit tight for keeping the speed that you can generate, so you’re too hard on the brakes and then back on the gas to get back what you lost. There are a couple in there that I always cut off trail to the inside because they keep the speed up and set you up better for the next turn. Just my 2 cents, maybe I’m nit picking.

Just want to remind people that positive public feedback on this project is really important! West Hants is really making something great for mountain biking in Nova Scotia. While technically speaking these trails are considered hiking trails, they are a great example of how mixed use singletrack trails on public land are a viable option for municipalities around Nova Scotia.

I encourage everyone who has biked here to let the West Hants Recreation Department and West Hants Council know that they appreciate the effort and money they have put forward on this project.

email:
West Hants Director of Recreation, Kathy Kehoe: recreation@westhants.ca
West Hants Active Living Coordinator, Bekah Reagan: activeliving@westhants.ca @Activeliving
West Hants District #5 Councillor, Gary Cochrane: gcochrane@westhants.ca

4 Likes

Just heard that the parking area is now open, so you can park inside the barrier without the risk of being locked in!

2 Likes

There’s a new beginner singletrack open

2 Likes

Anyone have an updated trail map for Irishmans Rd?

I have all the current trail data but haven’t got around to updating it, maybe this winter.

I have a working map of the area that I should be able to let out to the public - I’ll just need to confirm with the municipality first. I’ll see what I can do.

2 Likes

updated Trailforks, needs to be confirmed!
http://www.trailforks.com/region/nova-scotia/confirm/

1 Like

Confirmed

1 Like

A few more to confirm and it should be more or less complete. There will be a bi of editing to make all the trails join up perfectly but it should be pretty good.

Confirmed.

Is this the newest section added by trailforks?: http://www.trailforks.com/trails/unnamed9-72176/

That is the newest section that opened on Oct 21ish. GPS track added by me.

1 Like

Here’s a leak of the draft trails map. Courtesy of West Hants Recreation Department Facebook page:

You can’t click and zoom on it so get out the magnifying glass, there’s some interesting stuff on there.