'Unofficial' Sportwheels Fall/Winter rides

Great ride. I was definitely on the fence prior to leaving the shop but it was well worth heading out for a spin.

I’ll post up for Sunday in a couple of days when I have a better view of what trail will be ridable without causing damage.

Thank God for Tuesday nights! Creat ride!! Started off with a broken spoke and a quick tire install on an older Schwinn (before they became a Canadian Tire bike) and off to test ride a Stella 300 Duo with the best ride group around. The rain and the cold and the questionable visibility - it all adds to the fun. The good news is that my 12-year old Columbia jacket is still waterproof - the bad news is that it keeps water IN after it lets it in at my shoulders. Wouldn’t have missed it!!!

Thanks, Guys!

Looks like I missed a good one! GRRRrrrr. Need to re-assess my working hours.

WE ARE RIDING SUNDAY!

Regardless of the weather we receive we will ride tomorrow. I’m thinking whopper as a little bit of snow/rain won’t stick around very long there.

So Whopper at 1030am. Meet at the Burger King/Valu-village parking lot.

Great Ride today! Had a good group for a Sunday am and we rode the rock (and some ice) at Whopper. Went down a trail I haven’t been on in a long time and had a blast.

Next ride is Tuesday evening. As per usual meet at Sportwheels for 7pm and we’ll head out from there.

Many people ask where the ride is. The answer is I wait for conditions and who/how many show up. This means the location is one of 2 or 3 local spots that have been scoped out previously. I like to change it up this time of year so we learn different trail systems and different skills.

Lately I’ve had a hankering to hit up either Spider or Bedford Gun range. I’m hoping the weather stays as it is and we should be able to do one or the other on Tuesday evening. See you all there!

Still have a few sets of lights that can be loaned out if anyone is lacking and wants to join us!

I’d love to hit the gun range, never been there.

I second that. I was only there once and loved it. I like it on the
range.http://resource.pedaltrout.com/old_site_images/c676407db519bdf42481870746f097d8.gif

Fun Times!

A few spills but great ride overall with awesome food at Thai Garden in Bedford. If you haven’t been there, you’ve got to try it!

This Sunday am we are going to ride Evil Birch. I realize the weather is wet lately so if there is a change in venue I will post up as soon as I know.

Time 1000 am.

Here are some directions for those who may not know how to get to the trail:

From Highway 102 take exit 2 (Kearney Lake Road).Turn onto Kearney Lake Road westbound and travel aprox. 150 mLook for a low brick wall and a driveway on the left side of Kearney Lake Road immediately after the highway Pull in. You are there.

I would have gone if I had seen this post in time. What kind of shape are the bridges in? Is the main one crossing the brook at least OK?

Due to the rain we’ve received we decided to ride Hemlock Ravine instead. As much as I love riding singletrack I didn’t want to go in and damage trails unnecessarily.

The last two attempts at riding Evil Birch haven’t worked out, but we’re not giving up! We will make it there someday soon!

I would have gone if I had seen this post in time. What kind of shape are the bridges in? Is the main one crossing the brook at least OK?
all bridges have been replaced except for that one. it’s still usable though just tread lightly. (lol)

Great job presenting the"Winter Riding Prep Night"
material. Very fun and informative. Looking forward to the stud
party. :slight_smile:

The ride for Tuesday is definitely still a go!

6:45 - 7pm at Sportwheels in Lower sackville. From there we will venture out to an appropriate trail. With all the rain I tend to try to stay on trail that will not be affected by our use. We’ll make a final decision when we see what mother nature gives us today and who all shows up this evening but I’m leaning towards first lake or Macdonald Park at this point.

Still have plenty of lights ready for use for anyone who wants to come out and play on their bike!

all bridges have been replaced except for that one. it’s still usable though just tread lightly. (lol)

Thanks for the update. I haven’t been in there in a couple of years.

^^yeah we went for a ride in there, and couldn’t pass up reviving the trail. you’ll be pleasantly surprised. mind you we didn’t touch any of the first bit before the stream crossing. we are almost done adding a loop in the far end of the trail too.

Sweet! I’ll take a look in next time I get a chance.

I will be in New Brunswick this weekend so the next ride will be Tuesday December 14th. We’ll meet at the shop at about 6:45. We’ll decide on the trail once we see what the weather holds for us.

Well the rain seems to have subsided. The ride for Tuesday December 14th is a go.

We’ll ride either Macdonald Park or First Lake/Second lake so we don 't cause damage to singletrack. With all this rain I will be planning a trail maintenance day for the spring to give back to the trails we use.

Meet at the shop about 6:45 and we’ll depart from there.