2016/17 Winter Trail Conditions

It’s hero dirt time again!

Shubie is mostly clear, a few icy patches around and some crusty snow that is mostly rideable.

Spider is looking good too, The clearcut crossover is mostly clear with patchy crusty snow and ice that is rideable, replicator is 90% clear, the other singletracks appear to be clear with some icy patches, I only rode the ribbon and ran in to one extended patch of ice, the bottom of ribbon is snowy and boot bombed but rideable. I did it all without studs.

3 Likes

Bird Sanctuary was prime. Hero dirt, snow and ice in spots…was awesome!

4 Likes

Wrandees was excellent yesterday. Almost no ice and we were able to ride the very few patches of snow save for one tough climb. Today should be a little warmer…enjoy!

2 Likes

Seconded. However, Pipeline is pretty much unrideable right now. The brook isn’t frozen on the way up and there’s not enough snow to cover the roots in the other trail, making it largely a hike-a-bike affair.

1 Like

What’s the latest on Spider Lake?

It was mint yesterday, i just had skinny studded tires on. the atv double track still has some an inch ice on it where the mudholes are pretty hard-packed ice covered with white 2-3cm of snow yesterday, anywhere else like going to skull trail and silver-side is pretty mint 2-3cm snow covered should have melted by today, some parts have like 3-5inches snow but it is still ride-able i got the fatguys groomed the track first before the skinny tires to conclude very much doable specially for tomorrow night’s ride at -9. //jessie

3 Likes

Agreed, Spider was in great shape yesterday. We beat down a bunch of Silversides, and also rolled through Inner Peace, and whatever trail starts at the bottom of Inner Peace and goes over the metal ramp.

2 Likes

Has anyone been to Nine Mile River lately? A friend is thinking about heading there on Sunday morning, thinking about joining him. Will post it as an event if conditions are good and once details are confirmed. :slight_smile:

@IanM_MTB re: nine mile river two days ago…

1 Like

Thanks. He doesn’t have studs, so likely heading elsewhere. Irishman’s was good two weeks ago; maybe it’s still good?

I’d guess that Irishman’s is variable, the spots that get sun will be mostly clear the spots that don’t will either be snow or ice. On Jan 2 it was rideable without studs but there were some sections that would have been much easier and more fun with studs. Maybe @Adam has some extra insight?

1 Like

sorry guys; I haven’t been in Irishmans since Tuesday when it was last skiable.

2 Likes

Rode there yesterday and it was still definitely rideable but I wouldn’t do it without studs. Too much ice.

1 Like

Spider is riding very nice right now…some icy patches here and there in tricky spots, like right on one of the tight corners on replicator, and a section on the ribbon near the rock wall. Most of the snow is crusty and packed from weekend riding. I didn’t have studs, didn’t feel like I needed them.

3 Likes

Is there much snow @bent6543 or mostly bare ground?

Where I was I would call it patchy, little bits everywhere, here and there, in between the rocks on replicator and the clearcut crossover. The more sun exposure the trail has the more bare ground, shaded spots had a little more snow. All easily rideable with skinny tires. Didn’t do silversides.

Either way I’d get out tonite and tomorrow before it turns to mush with the warm day and night time temps forecast for later this week. Probably won’t be hero dirt again until Sunday morning.

2 Likes

Rode Whopper tonight, Far side is great, took a risk and attempted Death March, its possible to ride it all the way through, not easily, but its all doable minus one icy section on a granite slab.

5 Likes

Conditions were mint today. Mostly hero dirt with a bit of textured ice.

2 Likes

Yeah. Rode Spider Lake today with a buddy of mine. Both of us on studless skinnies. Few small ice patches here and there that we had to keep an eye out for. The packed in snow/exposed frozen dirt is nice and grippy though.

Conditions tomorrow should still be pretty good. Ice patches might get hidden a bit if we get a dusting of snow overnight.

3 Likes

Flip side, power line, dominion, and scotch on the rocks are all reallyyyyyyyy nice right now.

I would probably save scotch, lake loop and Susie Q for a fatty if you’re worried about leaving ruts in the trail with skinny tires

If you have a fatty get out on Suzie Q and the Lake loop it’s amazing right now!!

2 Likes