2016/17 Winter Trail Conditions

Nah, fatty or not all fun.

I don’t understand this comment haha

Fatty or not. All of it was fun to ride. On a bicycle… in the woods.

I rode farside just after you. Met Ian on his way out. Even the sections with snow were pretty ridable with my 2.35 tires.

2 Likes

yup get it while you can, hero dirt all over the place, before it gets soggy.

1 Like

Whopper Area: Minion and Flipside still mint, Susie has some ice and soft snow. Scotch was great yesterday. Rain and warm temperatures may change ALL of that. :unamused:

1 Like

Spider is hero, dirt, snow and ice all rideable without studs, a couple of spots on skull are tricky but 99% rideable, poker run is perfect, hard pack snow and grippy textured ice.

By 1pm shubie was getting soft and squishy.

I would ask that people please stay off line 24 today, it will be too soft now.

5 Likes

The trails in the valley are ice…or way too soft to ride. I did ride the rails to trails briefly but it was a very wet ride. Please stay off the soft ones and use studs on the ice.

2 Likes

Anyone know the condition of Irishman’s Road? Looks like it will be below zero tomorrow, hoping for some hero dirt. *Wasn’t thinking right, I will be down that way on Sunday, but it will be +3 :frowning: *

Any trails to avoid in the winter due to the archery club? I’m guessing they’ll be no snow there to mess up for cross country skiers. @bent6543 @Adam

Were you thinking of doing the Fat Bike day at Martock Sunday?

@jetter the last report I have is from Jan 21. It was mostly rideable with Frog Leg 1 and 2 being very icy, other places were packed rideable snow, it’s hard to say if all that rain melted all the ice and packed snow away.

There are spots that get almost no sun and no direct rain because of the hemlocks and it takes a long time to melt away anything packed. Like Frog leg and Hawthorne Alley

Most of the older singletracks should be in good shape, they’ve been well packed and it drains very quickly there.

There’s nothing to worry about as far as the Archery Club, it’s really obvious when they’re having an event.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s the plan.

Irishmans Rd was all snow covered today. 1 cm or so. Studs recommended. I didn’t see a lot of ice but the ice that was there was snow covered so double slippery and hard to spot at times.

5 Likes

Nine mile river was great. I didn’t have studs although they would have helped in a couple spots. There was patchy ice but 95% smooth sailing without studs

4 Likes

No dusting of snow at Fitz but deep sections left over from last snowfall. Up to a foot deep in places with a firm ridable crust. Big swaths of ice in spots too. Good with studs.

Climbing the crust was difficult as rear tire would poke through a bit. Some sections in woods and fields are bare though.

Up top… blowdown and fitz had no snowshoeing traffic and was too deep to bother.

3 Likes

The valley…hero dirt, some ice…overall awesome!

2 Likes

Has anyone been in Fight this weekend?

Rode at Uniacke Estate yesterday, main trails in great shape, an inch or so of light snow in most places. Barrens Trail was passable, deeper snow in some spots and the roots and rocks were slippery.

2 Likes

Despite the warm temps today everything at Irishman’s Rd. is still frozen. Hero dirt abounds.

4 Likes

studs recommended?

Probably more fun with studs, but the ice is sparse and easy to spot. Also the ice had a bit of a slushy crust on it so it wasn’t super slick.

1 Like