Across The Highlands Challenge - July 18/15

Clearly I had not had enough coffee and read that the wrong way round the first time.
I have heard that there had been point to point event(s) in the past, but moving both bikes and riders was logistically difficult, especially since there’s a 4-5 hour spread in finishing times.

yes, it used to be point to point, I imagine the thought of the shuttle back turned a few people off, so this is wayyyyy better. Kind of why its called Across the Highlands, btw.

Maybe they want to change the name to Ride the Highlands or Mountain Bike Mabou or something, I have always just assumed for the past 15 years that it was always a point to point as it was originally. But, if it sells out every year I guess they don`t really have anything to worry about.

Looks awesome, wish I could make it!

And I just might plan on that 120km route if you make it happen next year.

I expect the event will earn its namesake with a long climb into the Mabou Highlands and then across Mabou Coal Mines via an absolute ripping descent towards the Mabou Coal Mines (kilometres 25 to 35). Then you’ll be treated to some of the best ocean views on the island before coming back inland.

4 Likes

Looks good. Hope all the climbing means I won’t come D.L. but it won’t be pretty if I have to do many of those as run ups!

The good news is that as far as I can remember, all the climbs are climbable. However, I suspect Mountain Rd. near the end of the route will make a few victims.

We’ve put together the course together in a way that maximizes the fun you’ll have descending though!

1 Like

1 week left for registration. Tell your friends! And time for a big update. We broke ground on the first Na Beinn Trails single track project today. It will be ready in time for July 18th. Here are some pics!

1 Like

@Yanner cool. Is the new single track part of the AHC’15 course or is it just another fun ride we can do that weekend?

@Rolls It will be part of the course. It will be challenging, especially since the trail will be new to everyone, but it’s designed as a challenging back-country trail.

1 Like

We’ve been in the woods quite a bit, scouting, trimming, cutting. Old trails, new trails. It’s hard work, good thing I have a desk job! So tell your friends, you wouldn’t want them to miss out. Registration ends this weekend!

I’m in…totally last minute…but I’m there. Anyone want to carpool? I’m coming from Kentville.

5 Likes

Question, what are folks doing for lodging…i know there is a camp via celidh, but I wanna be sure that’s where the party is!

I wouldn’t mind knowing as well since I sure could use a cold one after this is all over. About 45 volunteer hours went into the trails this weekend!

2 Likes

Hi @riderx ,

I’m traveling with @Adam (actually, he’s traveling with me) so my bike rack is unfortunately full. We are staying with my dad who lives about 40 minutes away.

Not sure what’s out there for camping…there’s a few campgrounds, etc. Try NS tourism for availability. 1-800-565-0000 or online at Novascotia.com

Visit this page for all the closest accommodations:

Port Hood is 10 minutes away, it’s actually where I live.

http://porthood.ca/businesses/category/1

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

I will be securing lodging today. I’m not at all prepared, but very excited to be heading to the ACH this year!

2 Likes

I got a request for updates on conditions. The updates have been sparse because I’ve been spending all my spare time in the woods!

Things are fairly dry here except for a few spots which are seldom ever dry. But any of those spots will be fairly short. We’ve had a few bits of rain overnight and the forecast calls for a bit more tonight. However, the day time has been dry and mostly sunny. The weather looks great for the weekend, fingers crossed!

As far as tire choice, certainly pick something reliable, this is probably not the time for a 375 g tire. Otherwise, I’d pick an all rounder setup, but I could go on for days about tires.

Most importantly, what have you got planned for food/drink at the pit stops & post-ride meal?? :banana: :pizza: :hamburger: :ice_cream: :coffee:

I’m actually putting together an update together for participants tonight, but you can find it here on ECMTB first! hehe

Pit Stops will have the usual selection of fruit (watermelon, bananas), drinks (gatorade, water, juice) and handy bit size snacks (cookies, etc).

The post ride meal will be pizza, from both Mabou River Inn and The Galloping Cow with an assortment of salads. I know I’m looking forward to it!

3 Likes